December 7, 2012 by Sarah
Last night Mark and I had plans to see a play at a local theater so we needed an easy dinner that I could quickly throw together after work. This arugula pear salad did the trick and was also really delicious!
Arugula, Pear and Quinoa Salad
- 3/4 cup dry quinoa (I used red quinoa from Trader Joe’s) – cook in 1 1/2 cups of liquid of choice (water or broth)
- 1 bag of arugula, approximately 5 cups
- 2 medium pears, diced
- 1/4 cup of diced red onion
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese (gorgonzola would also be delicious!)
- 1/4 cup toasted walnuts
- 2 T balsamic vinegar
- 1 T olive oil
- 1 T honey
- Combine the quinoa and water or broth (I used water) and bring to a boil. Simmer until the liquid has absorbed (approximately 10-15 minutes).
- While the quinoa is cooking, toast the walnut pieces over medium heat and dice the pears and red onion.
- Combine the arugula, diced pears, diced red onion, feta cheese, and toasted walnuts in a large bowl.
- Add the cooked quinoa to the bowl of arugula.
- Whisk together the dressing by combining balsamic vinegar, olive oil, and honey and add to the bowl of arugula.
- Toss to combine and serve immediately.
When divided into 4 servings, there are 314 calories, 12 g fat and 10 g protein per serving.
I love adding fruit to salads, but I know others who are totally against the combination – it’s not for everyone! Do you ever add fruit to your salads? What’s your favorite combination?