January 3, 2013 by Sarah
I think I have a thing for quinoa salads. I love how quickly they come together and there are so many delicious flavor combinations.
Here is the recipe for the Butternut squash, quinoa, and arugula salad that I made for dinner tonight. Adapt it to fit your preferences and whatever you have in your kitchen.
Butternut squash, quinoa, and arugula salad
- 1 cup of quinoa
- 2 cups water or chicken/vegetable broth (I used water)
- 1 bag of arugula (I used Dole)
- 1 small butternut squash, peeled and diced
- 1/4 cup walnuts
- 1 T olive oil
- 2 T balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup gorgonzola cheese, more or less to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Drizzle diced butternut squash with a small amount of olive oil and roast squash for 30-45 minutes, until it can be easily pierced with a fork. This can be done ahead of time – I roasted the butternut squash the night before.
- Combine the quinoa and water/broth in a saucepan over high heat. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer for approximately 15 minutes or until all water is absorbed.
- Whisk together olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt, and pepper.
- Toss arugula, quinoa, butternut squash, walnuts, and dressing together in a bowl. Sprinkle with gorgonzola cheese and serve.
Here is a quick look at the rest of the day…
I was super hungry today…
- Breakfast: 2 eggs with ham lunch meat, 1/2 a multigrain bagel and fruit
- Lunch: Leftover spaghetti squash with turkey meatballs, apple
- Afternoon snack: Luna bar, yogurt, and raspberry greek yogurt
- Dinner: Butternut squash, quinoa, and arugula salad and some red wine (it was a great pairing!)
- Evening snack: Hot chocolate and a graham cracker
Ran 4.75 miles bright and early this morning before work. I am so proud of myself for getting out of my warm bed this morning to go for a chilly run.
4.75 miles in 47:00 minutes, 9:53 pace
Off to watch a little TV before bed… I’m heading to the gym first thing tomorrow morning!
When do you prefer to workout? Are you a morning exerciser?